The Winnipeg South End United Soccer Club (WSEU) will be conducting open tryouts for the 2018 Outdoor Season in February 2018. All players residing in the WSEU district who would like to try out for developmental level (U9-U12) and premier level (U13-U17) soccer are invited to attend.
Please share this information with friends and family in the South District who may consider playing developmental or premier soccer in 2018 – those who have played recreational soccer in past years, those who played U8 mini-soccer in 2017 and anyone new to our area. Thank you for helping to spread the word about WSEU.
February 5 to February 21
All ages/genders receive two tryout sessions.
There is a goalkeeper evaluation session for players U12+ on February 12. Players trying out for a goalkeeper position will attend the two sessions for their gender/age group PLUS the goalkeeper session for a total of three sessions. There is no additional charge for the goalkeeper session.
Note to current WSEU indoor families: Tryout times are integrated into the indoor season training schedule. It is a necessity to use some of WSEU’s regular slots at SSS in order to facilitate tryouts. The use of these training slots for tryouts was accounted for in the original schedule and fee structure for the 2017-2018 indoor season. You are NOT being charged for a team training session that you are not using if you are presently registered on a team for the indoor season.
WSEU requests that all players use the online registration system for tryouts. Online registration for tryouts is now open and will CLOSE Friday, February 2, 2018. Please contact the WSEU office if you are unable to register online.
Pre-register online until February 2:
- INDOOR PLAYER DISCOUNT – Premier (U13-U16) and Developmental (U9-U12) players currently registered with WSEU for the 2017-2018 indoor season are able to register at a reduced rate of $20.00 per athlete
- Tryout Registration Fee of $30.00 per athlete for all other athletes (U9-U17)
- After February 2, a Late Tryout Registration Fee of $45.00 per athlete applies to ALL players (U9-U17).
The late fee applies for in-person, in-office registration after February 2 and walk-ups on tryout days (February 5 to February 21). In-person registration must be paid by cheque ONLY payable to WSEU. NO cash,debit, or credit cards will be accepted at tryout sessions.
View full tryout schedule
Subway Soccer South (SSS), WSF Indoor Soccer Complex South
211 Chancellor Matheson Road, University of Manitoba
Note re Developmental and Premier Soccer:
WSEU runs a competitive soccer program for the south district of the City of Winnipeg. The premier and developmental outdoor 2018 season runs from May to September. Athletes are expected to attend training sessions, games and tournaments throughout the ENTIRE season including the summer months. We request that you please consider what your 2018 schedule will be PRIOR to registering for tryouts and subsequently a WSEU team.
If you plan to be away for an extended period of time during the season or are unable to consistently commit to the three to five sessions per week the WSEU program runs (depending on age), you may choose to consider playing for your Community Centre program rather than the WSEU program. Please visit your local Community Centre’s website for details on their soccer programs.
General Tryout Policies:
- Sessions are 1 hour in duration at SSS and will start at the indicated time. (Note that there are a few sessions for players U15+ that are longer than 1 hour.)
- The check-in table and tryout registration table (for walk-ups) will be open 30 minutes prior to the start of your session, so please be early. There will be lineups!
- All players must check in at the WSEU desk on the second floor Mezzanine area (SSS) to pick up a numbered pinnie prior to session start time.
- Be on-time, dressed and ready 10 minutes in advance of kick-off.
- ARRIVE EARLY. Lineups in previous years have lasted more than 20 - 25 minutes with some players missing almost half of a session. If everyone shows up just 5 minutes before the session and some are walk-up registrations, even with a lot of volunteers, we cannot all get through the queue on time.
- Players are required to attend both sessions for their age/division.
- Be dressed in proper soccer attire (cleats, shin guards, shorts, and white shirt). Any player without shin guards will be turned away from the session.
- Ensure your player brings a labeled water bottle. The facilities only allow for water.
- All athletes wanting to play at the Premier (U13-U17) or Developmental (U9-U12) level are expected to try out to be considered for a WSEU competitive team. This policy includes and applies to all athletes who currently play for WSEU indoor, or who have previously played for WSEU outdoor.
- All athletes must try out in their birth year category. No exceptions. Players found to be intentionally registering within the incorrect birth year will be excluded from tryouts.
- If your child is not able to attend tryouts because of sickness, injury or is out of town please contact our office immediately.
To be posted by the end of January 2018- 2018 WSEU Parent Information Sheet including info on (but not limited to):
o Developmental Program for Ages 9 - 12
o Long-Term Player Development Program details for Ages 9 - 12
o Premier 1 and Premier 2 Program for Ages 13 – 17
o Tryout Process
o 2018 Outdoor Season Schedule Details
o WSEU Coach Selection
o 2018 Outdoor Program Fees
o 2018 Outdoor Program Registration Process and Timeline
o Club Policies
o Parent/Club Communication
o WYSA, MSA and CSA information
Thank you for considering WSEU and we hope to see you in February!
Questions may be directed to the WSEU Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 204-452-8020.